Sunday, December 6, 2009

"And so the lion fell in love with the lamb..." Understanding the appeal of Twilight and Edward Cullen

My paper focuses on the character Edward Cullen from the 1st book of the Twilight series. Since the movie Twilight closely follows the book, I will be calling out various images and clips from the movie for a visual representation of my points.

It’s pretty important that those reading this understand the plot. If you haven’t read the book or seen the movie, head over to Wikipedia for a brief synopsis.

The basis of my research is trying to understand the vast appeal of the hero in Twilight, Edward. I also make note that Twilight is more than a young adult fantasy; it is a romance novel.



Twilight has sold over 17 million copies, and though it is often referred to as a book for young readers, it clearly appeals to a broader audience. The fact that adult women enjoy Twilight suggests that there is more to this text than the average young adult novel.

Edward Cullen is not an average high school senior. He is a vampire, who despite the appearance of a 17-year-old boy, was born in 1901. In Twilight, turning from human to vampire not only increases physical ability and strength, it intensifies attractiveness. Edward Cullen is what author Stephenie Meyer calls “devastatingly, inhumanly beautiful.”



In addition to being unbelievably good-looking, Edward is intelligent, charming, sensitive, and wealthy. The conflict in the relationship between Edward and the heroine, Bella lies in Edward’s desire to drink Bella’s blood. This lays the groundwork for the plot, but it also positions Edward as the typical romance hero. He fits the description of what romance author Robyn Kingston calls the “mean, moody, and magnificent” hero.

“You already know how I feel, of course,” I finally said.
“I’m here…which roughly translated, means I would rather die than stay away from you.” I frowned. “I’m an idiot.”
“You are and idiot,” he agreed with a laugh. Our eyes met, and I laughed, too. We laughed together at the idiocy and sheer impossibility of such a moment.”
“And so the lion fell in love with the lamb…,” he murmured. I looked away, hiding my eyes as I thrilled to the word.
“What a stupid lamb,” I sighed.
“What a sick, masochistic lion.” He stared into the shadowy forest for a long moment, and I wondered where his thoughts had taken him.


Edward’s unimaginable strength and his extraordinarily dangerous nature seem as though they would be deterrents for Bella, but they only further her intrigue. This parallels the typical romance hero/heroine relationship, because it sets up a challenge for the heroine. Kingston explains this aspect of the romance novel. “It is the hero’s task in the book to present a suitable challenge to the heroine. His strength is a measure of her power. For it is she who must conquer him.”



Kingston’s explanation of the hero is an interesting counter to the usual assumptions about the aggressive, bad boy. If the hero is pitted against the heroine, but he is unbelievably strong, it speaks to the strength of the heroine.



Before my research, I was among those who consider romance novels to be trash. Because of this, I didn’t think of Twilight as romance, mostly because I liked it. I say that I liked it with some hesitation, because I consider myself a feminist. The ways in which Edward’s appeal is interwoven with antiquated gender roles and stereotypes of the ways in which men and women are expected to interact romantically seem a markedly anti-feminist element of the book series. As a result, I felt conflicted by this sense of overwhelming interest in the main character and guilt for liking him. For me, this transgression was part of the pleasure of reading.



Prompted by my own feelings toward the book, I researched reactions by feminist readers. Many of them felt similarly. One funny example is this post (the comments at the bottom are interesting too).

I found that even mainstream media outlets had criticized Twilight for being anti-feminist. This article from the Washington Post is an example.

Based on my Internet searching, I found that women seem to be divided into two categories – those who hate the book and those who love it. For many of those who love the book, it’s filed under “guilty pleasure.” These intense reactions toward Twilight and the embarrassment from partaking in the phenomenon create another parallel to romance novels. Romance novel writer Jayne Krentz explains, “As any romance reader or writer will tell you, a reader either enjoys the novels or she does not. If she does, no further explanations of the appeal of the books are necessary.”



The reasons women read romance novels are largely disputed. Answers to the question of why women enjoy these books range from considering it a form of escapism to finding fulfillment that they cannot receive in their real lives. Opinions of whether romance novels are anti-feminist or feminist also vary greatly, with much support for both sides.

I found that thinking of Twilight as a romance novel was a good tool for understanding its appeal. In my paper, I used that lens to evaluate the hero and heroine. Readers’ interest in Edward is tied to his rigid, traditional masculinity as well as his romantic gestures and protective nature. The reason women love Twilight, and more specifically, Edward, is similar to the reason women love romance. It’s an escape, transgression, and romance written by a woman, for women. Edward may not be a plausible real-life love interest, but part of his intrigue lies in the fantasy element. The fantasy in Twilight removes the reader from the realm of normal happenings, which allows the reader to buy wholeheartedly into the story. If the story can be strange and intense, so can the hero. Finally, when considering that romance novels make up 35-40% of all fiction sold each year, the Twilight phenomenon seems small scale. Twilight is not a unique and peculiarly popular teen book, it’s a romance novel that sells much like its romantic counterparts, very well.

Extra reading: a very funny "explanation" of the appeal of Twilight.

6 comments:

  1. Do you think people would love Twilight as much if the hero wasn't super attractive? If there was no movie in which someone had a visual of what Edward Cullen is supposed to look like, do you think women will still be obsessed with the book? Is the idea of escapism then apparant if the main character is one that still holds these hyper-masculine qualities but isn't that attractive?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must admit that I, too, loved the Twilight series. As a feminist myself, I grappled with my "guilt" over enjoying the books (and the movies, for that matter) and I often hid my obsession from others in fear of being labeled anti-feminist. However, I think you make some very interesting points about the relationship between the hero/heroine in romance novels. I also particularly liked your discussion and critique of Edward as a poster child for traditional masculinity.

    I often find the differences between Edward and Bella to be fascinating under a feminist's lens. It's obvious,as you mentioned, that Edward is the "perfect man:" wealthy, dangerous, handsome, smart...but what is Bella? Conversely, Bella is depicted as clumsy, aloof, and awkwardly beautiful. How do you think feminists would analyze this difference in men and women in both the books and the film? Do you think that this has any effect on devout Twilight fans? I would be interested to see how Stephanie Meyer responds to feminist critiques of the series.

    I'm also curious about the women who said they hate or love the book. Did you find any research on this? If so, what were the women's reasons for disliking both the book and the characters? Personally, I still can't define why I love the books. Do you think this has anything to do with the perpetuation of gender roles and societal norms? Does this mean we Twilighters are passive audience members?

    I really enjoyed your presentation, and I'm glad to know there's another feminist/Twilighter in the world (even if we can't explain why we love it!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey sarah! I found your presentation very interesting. I recently watched Twilight the movie for the first time, but never read the book (or heard of them until the movie came out), and prior to seeing the movie, I was like Rob Pattinson is not that good looking and didnt know what all the hype surrounding him was. So i watched the movie, and by the end i was like "I want him"...and then I was convinced I've been brainwashed.

    Anyways, I consider myself to be a feminist, but after trying to figure out why I now loved the character of Edward Cullen (I'm still not convinced that Rob Pattinson is that hot) I thought back to how I was brought up. My mom taught me and my sister to be self sufficient, to be able to support ourselves and not be forced to rely on anyone else, especially financially. She also added that if we found someone who brings anything extra to the table that it would just be icing on the cake. With all this being said, I was thinking that maybe the reason why I felt the way I do towards Edward (and maybe other feminists) is that I know that there are limitations to what I can do, and while I may be able to take care of myself, there is no way I can defend myself against an attack of vampires or run super fast and climb trees...So maybe edward is just the icing on my cake. I believe that part of being a feminist is knowing our limitations and being aware that I cannot do everything even though i would like to be able to. The things that Edward helps Bella out with are things that we cannot do, or can any real person do...like there is no way i would be able to stop a car from hitting myself or someone else. Do you feel that as a feminist, it is ok to be vulnerable and need help, and that the appeal of Edward is that he can do the things that we cannot?

    Two more quick questions...1-is there the same reaction towards the character Jacob (the werewolf that dating Taylor Swift) in the second book or movie? and 2-I found a very distinct similarity between the images of the apple and Bella and the thorned bracelets she is wearing in the one picture to the idea of Eve and the apple and temptation. I was wondering if you came across any examples of how religious ideology has played into the attraction or repulsion towards Edward and Twilight?

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Danielle - Thanks for the comment! I only briefly discuss the movie in my presentation, but in my paper I explain that Twilight became extremely popular prior to the creation of the movie. A lot more fans have jumped on board since the movie was released, but the original readers didn't have this visual aid. Millions of readers became fans based solely on the text.

    In my paper I also support the concept of escapism with the inclusion of fantasy elements, the "socially detached" locale (Bella is uprooted and dropped in an unfamiliar town), the open-ended nature of Bella's character, which allows the reader to enter fully into the story by interjecting their own feelings and thoughts through her, and comparisons between Twilight and romance novels - which are widely credit escapism as one of the reasons for their popularity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Kate - Hey, a fellow Twilighter! I had similar feelings about Bella while I was reading. I continually wondered why someone like Edward would be interested in her, since she was underdeveloped as far as a character and sort of put down by the author.

    In my research I found that often in romance novels, the heroine is similar to Bella, but readers of the novels who reject the assertion that they are sexist suggest that the smallest defiance from the heroine is incredibly symbolic. They suggest that if the novel contained a heroine who was overtly powerful, it may be disruptive - so the readers choose to latch on to smaller acts of defiance (like Bella's anger towards and constant questioning of Edward in the first half of Twilight) to represent her strength. I don't know if I totally buy that, but I still found it interesting.

    In answer to your other question, I found that women who love or hate the book are very strongly divided. This tied back in once again with my study of Twilight as a romance novel, since feelings toward those books are also extremely polar. The reasons for disliking the book were pretty much the critiques I make in my paper and presentation as well as the things you guys have mentioned in the questions. The people who love the book seem to either buy into the norms that the book establishes, look past them, or sort of enjoy partaking in them whilst knowing they are questionable. So no, I don't think it means we're passive audience members. I think it just means that there are a million ways to interpret and enjoy something. Enjoying it doesn't necessarily mean you agree with everything it stands for. At least that's my take on it! Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Jillian! First off - I totally thought the same thing about Robert Pattinson. When I first saw the movie art I was thinking he looked very feminine...tons of weird white makeup? I didn't find that attractive. After some time, I had a similar response. Now I totally love that guy, haha.

    Anyway, your story is really interesting, because I never considered that reason for liking Edward. I dealt a little bit with the reasons I felt him being a vampire were important for his appeal in the book, but I didn't consider extra-human capabilities as a whole one of those. I sort of felt that his vampire abilities spoke more toward his masculinity than anything - being extremely strong, muscular, intelligent, etc. I definitely think that your take is interesting, and it is a totally new thing to think about.

    As far as Jacob, I just didn't go there. It would have been an awesome addition to a longer paper, or a super addition to an entire book-length analysis, haha.

    As far as religion, I also didn't go there. Mostly for the same reason - length. It would have made a really great addition, but there wasn't time/room. At the beginning of Twilight there is actually a verse from the Bible, and the author is religious, so I think this definitely plays into the text. In addition, the apple on the cover of the book is most likely a metaphor for Bella being the forbidden fruit for Edward. I think it would be really interesting to analyze this text according to religion, because I think the book is rich with religious (as well as racial, where i also didn't really examine much) overtones. Tons of cool research could be done here, and maybe in the future I will continue this study!
    Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete