Sunday, December 6, 2009

Vintage Fashion














For my final paper, I have researched vintage and thrift fashion. Throughout time our society has adopted many different fashion trends and fashion faux pas. The argument being that over time vintage fashion has become a big hit in our society and has become more and more accepted into our culture. Throughout my paper I discuss who specifically wears vintage, what it has to do with individuality and the differences between what is vintage and and what is thrift clothing, which I will share with you. The differences are that thrift doesn't have to have an age on it, while vintage should be for the most part 10 years or older, most say 15. In an article called "How to Dress like your Grandmother," a quote stood out to me, "“What once brought up images of your grandmother’s closet, in the past few years has become a creative and stylish way to dress." This idea that what older women are wearing are becoming more and more vogue.

As we continue to be influenced by the media and our society, we will be able to see how much our culture is influenced by the ever changing fashion world. Fashion will continue to be a statement of who we are, and a way to express our individuality. Shopping for vintage and thrift clothing is continuing to be a trend. More and more women are wanting to look like no one else but themselves and vintage and thrift fashion have a lot to do with not being afraid to be yourself, and to stand out.

Vintage clothes tell a history from a past time, and within each piece of vintage one wears, they are able to express the present day within it; which is what makes vintage so unique.

If you have ever watched an awards show such as the Emmys, or Grammy’s, you can be sure you have witnessed a celebrity wearing a vintage gown. The big hype with vintage is the idea that something that is much older, can be taken and worn and created into something “new.” Much of the reason behind wearing vintage is to be different. When shopping at department stores or local stores in a mall that everyone is familiar with, we risk the chance of looking like everyone else, but when one purchases a vintage piece it is simply one of a kind. Here is a short thrifting 101 video.

Celebrities have been a large influence on the way our society views fashion. Often we look up to celebrities who have a strong sense of style. Most celebrities wear plenty of vintage whether it be expensive or something for rather cheap, but either way if they are doing it many feel that it is ok for them to wear it also. Here are some celebrities in vintage wear.

Sienna Miller in vintage Balenciaga Mini




Julie Berman in vintage Versace

Heidi Klum in vintage cocktail dress by Galliano


VINTAGE BLOGGERS

One of my favorite vintage blogs is one by Jane Aldridge, a young girl from Texas who puts together amazing outfits and started a blog updated daily or weekly with pictures, text, and amazing ideas for what to wear. As well she has designed a line of shoes for Urban Outfitters, and they truly look like they are vintage inspired. It goes to show how an oridinary girl can be influenced by vintage fashion, Aldridge has become a fashion celebrity because of her work with her very own blog. check it out. Also here is a video with Aldridge discussing her styles and her line of shoes. Here are some pictures of her.


Jane Dress

Jane_aldridge













As well vintage is a way to express ones self. Clothing can tell a lot about a person, and it is easy to be unique and different than others through the clothing we chose to wear. I did an interview with a friend of mine who is an avid vintage shopper, there are some very interesting responses that sparked my interest. It is always nice to have answers directly from someone who constantly shops vintage. Here is the interview I had with Michelle:

1. What does vintage mean to you?

Vintage is a way to honor the fashions of the past, but not necessarily be stuck in a particular decade. Some people wear vintage to look like they’re straight out of the 1950s, or the 70s or whatever time period they’re most interested in, while others prefer to take vintage clothing and give it a modern take. I prefer to do the latter because I think the mix is interesting, not so “canned” fashion.

I once modeled for a local boutique that carries a lot of vintage clothing and the owner asked me, “You don’t wear much vintage, do you?” I was pretty insulted by this assumption because I actually wear a ton of vintage, but I wear it in a way that isn’t a generic recreation of a particular decade. So I guess I took it as a compliment because the owner didn’t even realize the outfits I came in with were a mix of current and vintage pieces. I generally don’t do the whole head to toe of anything. It’s more fun to mix it up.

2. Do you see a difference between vintage and thrifting?

Vintage is clothing from a particular time, usually at least 10 plus years old, and can be purchased at a range of prices, from affordable to very expensive. Thrifted clothes are generally inexpensive secondhand items (some newer, some older) from stores like Goodwill and Salvation Army. But you can find quality vintage clothing at thrift stores.

3. How did you get into shopping and wearing vintage?

I feel like I got into wearing secondhand/vintage at a relatively young age. My mom was very good friends with the older ladies in our neighborhood and I remember loving their glamorous coats that they had kept from the 50s and 60s, lots of fur and faux fur and leopard print. I ended up basically inheriting those coats once they fit me and I wore them like crazy.

Also, I was a teenager when the 90s grunge movement (music and fashion) was happening and there was a lot of secondhand influence going on: ratty T-shirts, grandpa cardigans, old jackets and coats, little kids’ shirts worn as baby doll tees. I didn’t have much of my own money, but that was okay because thrifting clothes was definitely part of the genre.

4. Do you prefer to shop vintage more or at regular stores?

I do both, but I definitely have an abundance of vintage and secondhand pieces. It just makes it less likely that someone will have the same outfit. When I do buy current items, they’re either basic components of a wardrobe or more one of a kind designs picked up from smaller boutiques. I especially like to wear vintage accessories like hats, bags, gloves and jewelry. Footwear can be kind of tricky to go vintage, but I’ve acquired a collection of vintage boots. Nearly all of them had to be re-heeled immediately though.

5. What is your motive behind wearing vintage?

I love the craftsmanship that has gone into vintage clothing; that’s part of the reason they’ve lasted so long. It’s exciting to find a piece that’s special and unique. I really like to imagine the person who owned the clothing before me and picturing the situations they may have worn the garments. It’s kind of a way of carrying on their legacy.

6. When did you start wearing vintage and why or how?

I was probably in middle school when I first started. I just liked having fun getting dressed and trying to be “part of the crowd” had just gotten old.

It's always interesting to see different perspectives on the vintage and thrift fashion world. Michelle had a lot to share with me, about her ideas of vintage and thrifting. As well as Aldridge's blog in which I discussed earlier, Michelle has an amazing vintage/thrift blog that could really make anyone want to start shopping at vintage and thrift stores.

Here is a link to Michelle's vintage fashion blog, it is truly fabulous!


8 comments:

  1. In response to Amie's vintage fashion topic...

    First of all, I did not know the difference or even know there was a difference between thrift and vintage. I don't have much of a fashion sense I guess.

    Secondly, the girl in the shopping video was amuzing, though she seemed pretty obsessed with clothes and fashion.

    The "Sea of Shoes" blog was interesting, and it definitely had a lot of pictures of nicely dressed women, and some men.

    The interview portion with Michelle was well-written, and her "Wasted Wardrobe" blog was nicely put together as well. I am sure to people who are interested in the world of fashion, these would make two great sources of information.

    My only criticism would be to try and maybe get more men, or anyone else who does not care about or is unfamiliar with vintage fashion, more interested in the topic somehow. Other than that, it looks like a job well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Much like Dustin, I didn't realize there was such a chief difference between vintage and thrift. I thought her quote about "grandma's closet" was pretty interesting, because evidently fashion is going full circle again and old styles are once again becoming appealing.

    I thought the idea of Aldridge's blog, and her celebrity being created based on this blog, poses a question about what affect technology has on fashion and style. Evidently the internet does play a role in defining what is en vogue.

    My only question would be, from a sociological perspective, why people become fashionistas. What appeals does fashion hold, and how does it help people form their identity?

    It was a job well done though, the videos and blogs which you provided were well researched and informative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Much like Dustin, I didn't realize there was such a chief difference between vintage and thrift. I thought her quote about "grandma's closet" was pretty interesting, because evidently fashion is going full circle again and old styles are once again becoming appealing.

    I thought the idea of Aldridge's blog, and her celebrity being created based on this blog, poses a question about what affect technology has on fashion and style. Evidently the internet does play a role in defining what is en vogue.

    My only question would be, from a sociological perspective, why people become fashionistas. What appeals does fashion hold, and how does it help people form their identity?

    It was a job well done though, the resources which you included were very informative!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Amie, I really liked your topic! I love fashion and while I am not a thrift shopper (being a germaphob, it kind of grosses me out that someone I dont know wore the piece of clothing and their cooties are not going away no matter how many times i wash it) I do like to wear vintage inspired pieces. I had a question regarding the video interview of Aldridge. she made a comment on how she considers herself to be anti-trend, but with the formation of her own shoe line, the inclusion of vintage style in the media which resulted in the creation of a hype around vintage style, and the celebrities that seek out her fashion advice and blog, vintage has become a trend. I was wondering if other people who consider their wardrobe vintage and wear vintage pieces are also anti-trend, and now see the vintage movement in fashion as selling out.

    I was also wondering if there was any correlation between vintage and thrift shopping/wearing and the whole idea of "going green." By wearing already created pieces they are reducing pollution through the lack of transportation of clothes to stores as well as the pollution from factories, they are reusing clothes that would otherwise just sit somewhere and in a sense they are recycling these clothes. Also do you feel that this movement has an impact on or created as a way of objecting to globalization since most of our clothes are produced in other countries.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jillian- good questions! the whole reason I think that Aldridge and others who are anti-trend are basically stating the fact that they don't care if they are trendy because what they wear to them is trendy in their own sense. I think a lot of vintage fashion has , to do with a lot of those who are anti-trend because they are not wearing what everyone has from a local or well known store, which is what tends to make up our trends.

    I also read an article about going green and doing so by wearing previously used clothing. It is true that many find they are reducing pollution and helping out the environment by wearing used pieces of clothing. I definitely agree with you that they are recycling clothes, because they are re-using someone else's clothing.

    I definitely think this movement has an impact on globalization because most of our clothes are made elsewhere. I think that by shopping for vintage or thrift pieces allows us to find things that are made from all over the world as well as things that are produced in the United States. Vintage and thrift pieces come from all over and I think that is a huge factor in what makes it so unique.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eric- I think people become fashionistas because of the obsession or addiction like we've talked about in class, but this time to clothing. I think fashion as well as an expression can be seen as a hobby. Especially when it comes to vintage fashion, many of those who shop vintage collect specific pieces.
    I think the appeals that fashion holds is the sense of being different and the sense that is appealing to wear something that holds a past or wear something that is one of a kind. As well with forming identity, I think that those who shop vintage and thrift find a sense of who they are the first time they enter a thrift or antique store. Some are turned off to it, but I think those that are turned onto it, develop this sense of who they are based on the clothes they chose to wear. Often when I go shopping at the mall I find nothing because none of it really expresses who I am, but when I shop for vintage or thrift, I know that no one else will have these pieces and I get the sense of my identity to be that of original and different than others.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dustin-Thanks for the feedback. I think that fashion/vintage blogs really get an audience involved and that's what I tried to do with presenting this topic to you guys.
    Getting most men involved in any type of concept dealing with fashion tends to be rather difficult. Although I have talked with some who are very into it, based on the images they see. For example in the movie Sex and the City most men would probably object to seeing it, but I heard a lot of feedback that men enjoyed the movie because of the women and the ways in which they were dressed. I found this interesting because I think in a certain setting men really do appreciate fashion!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amie,


    I would agree with most of the above comments that your topic is really interesting and inciteful.

    And much like a few of the other male comments, I really didn't know the difference between vintage and thrifting. I always thought that the terms each meant the same thus thing ang were interchangable.

    But to me, it is amazing that thrifting can be so fashionable and beautiful. In the photos that you posted I would have never known that those dresses were of vintage style.

    Similar to Jillian, I don't think I would ever partake in vintage or thrifting. But I think I have a new found appreciation for vintage clothes after reading your presentation.

    You may have already answered this question previously but is there any difference in vintage and thrift clothes in men versus women? As I said I don't think I could ever do it but I think it would be interesting to see and learn about.

    ReplyDelete