Golden Axe
In this side-scrolling hack and slash videogame, Tyris Flare is the female avatar. Tyris is the sword wielding Amazon woman who sets out to avenge her fallen parents who were killed by the villain Death Adder.
Tyris Flare (starts at 0:07 seconds)
Tyris has long hair and a muscular physique. She wears a rather small, red and white bikini with knee-high red boots. One of the reasons I chose Tyris as a character to study is because of this depiction. While it may seem trivial in that she is shown this way, it was clear in my research from fan posts to message boards that her appearance was an important part of the game to players. One fan commented that he loved the game, but the best part was being able to pause so many times on Tyris' backside, claiming it to be "classic." In another online posting of Tyris' personal qualities, a game reviewer quoted her as having "average strength, strong magic capabilities, and strong sex appeal." What was important to note was that nothing was said about the other two character's sex appeals, both being male avatars. The fact that people are indeed making comments about something like her appearance, which has no correlation to her gaming ability, suggests that this is an integral part of her character's appeal.
Streets of Rage
Streets of Rage is a side-scrolling beat-em up game where three ex-cops including Adam Hunter, Axel Stone, and Blaze Fielding, set out to battle the evil villain Mr. Ex and his cronies that are trying to take over the city. One of the main avatars the player can choose is female judo expert Blaze Fielding. Although Blaze is much weaker than the other two male avatars, she jumps higher than Adam and moves faster than Axel. Her attacks also have the longest range and her body slams and throws cause the highest damage.
Blaze Fielding

Blaze seems to have no apparent significant sex appeal in the way she is depicted. She is mostly covered with no exposure of the breasts, buttocks, or midriff. These are the body parts in which researchers have found to be where most of the attention is paid in terms of female avatars. Thus, it could be said that Blaze Fielding truly represents a positive image of how females are shown by the lack of attention that is paid to her body and more attention focused on her strengths as a character.
However, in contrast to Blaze, one of the female enemies in the game that is depicted in a highly sexualized manner is Nora. Nora, according to Sega creators themselves, is part of a "questionable members-only club where everyone calls her 'Queen'."
Nora (appears at 2:18)
Shown with thigh-high red boots, a tight body-suit, and a whip, and given her description, Nora is clearly meant to represent a prostitute. Although none of the male enemies are given descriptions or depictions that relate to being a "pimp", it is important to note that the only female enemy is. It is as if the message trying to be sent is that criminal females can only be criminal if it has something to do with using their body. Unlike the males who are given descriptions as "minion," "punk,"and "ninja," Nora is the only one who is given a criminal job that relates to sex.
Both Sides to the Argument
On the one hand, games like Golden Axe and Streets of Rage perpetuate the idea that women are to be seen in the videogame world as sexualized objects of desire despite their strengths. By putting female avatars in certain outfits that emphasize particular body parts and by giving them descriptions that relate to their sexuality, the idea that women are still inferior to men is maintained. Videogames are a male dominated genre; the designers are mostly men, and those who consume videogames are mostly men. Therefore, it is not unlikely that this is why this representation of women exists.
However, there is an opposing side to these representations. Despite the physical appearances of these characters, Golden Axe and Streets of Rage place women in dominant, powerful roles. They allow women to be shown as fighters and avengers rather than just trophies and objects to be obtained.
Possible Solutions
One way to overcome this way of portraying women in highly sexualized ways is to have more female videogame designers. Having a female giving insight on how to portray women more realistically would help to overcome these overtly sexualized versions of female characters. Also, having games where more female avatars are options for play will boost female representation in videogames. Most of these games are not only played by males, but feature males; the male gender in practically all videogames outnumbers the female gender. By giving the player fewer options to choose between male and female, female player use will be more highly encouraged. Finally, more female avatars should be given characteristics that some feel only apply to men. Most female characters are given other strengths to make up for their lack of physical strength, such as agility, potion power or fatal weapons. Giving female characters more physical strength will also increase their desire to be used more in the game. After all, anything is possible in a videogame.
Great post, Danielle...it's especially interesting considering my own family- my brother played any and every videogame as much as possible!
ReplyDeleteI thought of a couple of questions as I read your presentation. First, I think it's important to consider the importance of gender roles in children's participation in videogames. For instance, young girls are likely not encouraged to play videogames. Rather, parents purchase dolls, kitchen sets, etc. for girls to play with. On the other hand, it seems strange when boys don't play videogames. What does this say about naturalization and myth as we've discussed in class? What importance, if any, do you think these cultural and societal norms have on the creation of videogames and specifically the portrayal of women in them? Do you think it's possible that (as you suggested in your post)if women are given more strength in videogames young boys will choose to use female avatars over male?
I think it's important to discuss this phenomenon in a more contemporary context as well. New gaming systems like Wii allow gamers to create their own avatars. What effect do you think this would have on the portrayal of women in games? Do you think more women would/do play modern videogames because of this?
Also, I'd be curious to know how this works in other countries. Do young boys operate the same way? Are women portrayed the same?
In general, I guess I just don't understand how it can be ok for women to be brutalized and sexualized in videogames. I think you pose some very possible suggestions for change, and I really liked your examples as they were easy to understand.
This is an interesting topic. I had a few thoughts as I was reading:
ReplyDelete1. Looking at an older media product might help your study. Streets of Rage seems to be merely an updated version of the NES game Double Dragon. In this older quest, Billy and Jimmy walked up and down streets and fought punks in a similar manner. They could even pick up broken bottles and knives lying on the ground--similar to Streets. Double Dragon even featured that rising door in the background that spews out an enemy. However, Double Dragon only featured two male heroes. The subsequent Streets of Rage seems to have incorporated a woman... why would this be? To recognize a burgeoning phenomenon of female players, or maybe just to differentiate Streets from its predecessor? It would be important to know. If, for instance, Streets of Rage designers did recognize a new market of female players, then your argument about women being placed in dominant roles would be validated. The designers would think, "we have girls getting into Sega Genesis now, so maybe we can let them feel included and stop placating only to the guys."
2. This may not be entirely relevant to your study, but is there something to be said about video game violence in general? You say that one of the arguments in support of female representation is that these games "allow women to be shown as fighters and avengers rather than just trophies and objects to be obtained." Is being a "fighter" the desirable opposite of being a "trophy"? Is that what girl gamers aspire to be? It is better than simply being exploited, of course.
3. One of your solutions to this problem is "to have more female video game designers." How would this come about? Do you explore it in your paper? I think it would be interesting if you came up with some hypotheticals as to how to get more girls in game designing studios.
I really enjoyed your presentation, and I think this is an interesting topic! I especially liked that you included a few quotes from players of the game. In all of the cases that you mentioned, the player commented on the physical assets of the female avatars. I wonder why these players felt the need to do this? In these older games especially, the lack of modern graphics make for a pixelated image, so I wouldn't think that these players actually felt the avatars were attractive. The objectification of the female avatars suggests an uneven balance of power between women and men. Does having a highly sexualized female body make it easier for male players to deal with a powerful female character? Or is it necessary for women to counteract being physically strong with being extremely sexy, so they maintain a balance of traditionally masculine and feminine qualities? Those are just a few things I wondered while reading this.
ReplyDeleteI also wonder if the type of video game affects the representation of the female avatar. Your examples were of games that were based on fighting and the women were highly sexualized, but in other genres of video games are the women represented this way?
Finally, I like your suggestions for changing the representations of women in video games. I agree that having more women involved in video game production and distribution would be a potential solution, or at least catalyst for change, in this area.
Kate-
ReplyDeleteI definitely think that it is considered to be a natural thing for boys to want to play videogames and for girls to reject them. I think that it has become accepted in our society that boys should like these games because it speaks to them as being masculine, whereas girls should refrain because it will go against what it means to be feminine, and anything different is not natural. In relation to the creation then, I think it becomes an idea for game designers that boys are the ones who need to be kept in mind when creating these games and consequently, so much of how these female avatars are depicted is because of this notion. While I think that giving females powerful strengths does lead boys to want to play them more, I think the reason they lack the actual power of strength is so that the male avatars are still encouraged to be used over female avatars. The power of strength is what inevitably leads to the most amount of enemies being destroyed, so in the end, I feel the male avatar is still the one who is suggested more to be played with. In terms of the international appeal, it would be an interesting idea to investigate how people from other countries view these games. I know for both these games, because created by foreign designers, the graphics are the same and the depictions are the same, but I think in order to understand how young boys and girls from different countries react to these depictions, an understanding of their cultural norms and mores would need to be known first.
Dugan-
ReplyDeleteI have never played Double Dragon before, but when I looked it up online, I found the parallel to Streets of Rage very interesting. From what I gathered about Double Dragon, is that the plot is to inevitably save their common love interest Marian. I found that very compelling, as is the lack of a female protagonist. In my paper, I discussed how female avatars are generally depicted in two manners: highly sexualized and princess like objects in need of rescue. I suppose in Double Dragon, the only incorporation of a female character falls in line with the first depiction where women are shown as objects to be won. While I’m not sure why Double Dragon lacked a female avatar for play and Streets of Rage featured one, I think it would be an interesting point to research whether or not it was due to any feedback from gamers or because the market for female gamers was recognized. However, I doubt it would be the latter in that still today, the videogame market is still dominated by men. I think back in 1987, when Double Dragon was created, designers probably didn’t yet recognize the influence a female avatar could have on their game’s popularity and profit. I think your point about whether depicting women as fighters is what girl gamers aspire to be. I think more so than anything, it is the fact that they are being representing in power roles rather than as objects of fantasy for male gamers. What I did find in relation to female game designers is that many female gamers have a desire to get involved in such an activity, but much like the consumers, the videogame design world is mostly dominated by men and controlled by men , which comes off as intimidating to prospective female game designers.
Sarah-
ReplyDeleteI also found it intriguing how like you said, these graphics are not the greatest and the attention paid to them thus seems a bit odd. I do think that by having a highly sexualized female makes the man still feel in control; that even though a woman is depicted, it is in a way that still makes her inferior to the male characters. I think that by balancing strong female images with somewhat masculine traits, the creators of these female avatars are trying to show that a woman is still never completely as competent as the male avatar. While I did use two fighting games, my research showed that in most games, there are two depictions that occur repeatedly: a highly sexualized female character and a princess-like victim in need of rescue. While the only real genre I am familiar with outside of fighting games are role playing games, I feel games such as Super Mario Bros. and Legends of Zelda, for example, also uphold these standards.
Dugan- I did find an interesting video that shows Marian- the girl the fighters are supposed to save. I think it's quite interesting in how she is shown- rather sexy, and I think you can even see her underwear! This is what I was talking about! Thanks for the interesting Double Dragon information!
ReplyDeleteDouble Dragon link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJwphXaZ-VA